At Charles River, we are passionate about improving the quality of people’s lives. When you join our global family, you will help create healthier lives for millions of patients and their families.
Charles River employees are innovative thinkers, who are dedicated to continuous learning and improvement. We will empower you with the resources you need to grow and develop in your career.
As a Charles River employee, you will be part of an industry-leading, customer-focused company at the forefront of drug development. Your skills will play a key role in bringing life-saving therapies to market faster through simpler, quicker, and more digitalized processes. Whether you are in lab operations, finance, IT, sales, or another area, when you work at Charles River, you will be the difference every day for patients across the globe.
We are seeking an experienced Back End Developer for our Digital Team. This is a remote position with a preference that the candidate be located anywhere within the U.S, Canada or the U.K.
The Back End developer is responsible for the system to work behind the scenes. Their role is to integrate the application with all required systems and services and provide clean and easy to use API for the frontend part of the system. Although their work is usually hidden from the user they bear the full responsibility for the application functionality, performance and scalability. They know how to write clean modern APIs, integrate with legacy systems and work with databases.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design and develop the business logic and backend systems of the product.
• Work closely with frontend developers to design and develop functional, performing and complete APIs.
• Decipher existing companies’ software systems and be able to hook in application to applicable data sources.
• Write both unit and integration tests and develop automation tools for daily tasks.
• Develop high quality, well documented, and efficient code.
• Challenge ideas and opinions to avoid pitfalls and inefficient solutions
• Perform all other related duties as assigned.
The following are minimum requirements related to the Back End Developer:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, or Engineering preferred
• Strong understanding of Agile methodologies.
• Experience as a backend developer in common languages and frameworks (Java Spring Boot, NodeJS, etc.), functional programming in Scala.
• Deep knowledge of Object-Oriented programing and engineering principles like SOLID.
• Significant experience writing and utilizing autonomous services oriented RESTful API services and performance tuning large scale apps.
• Experience with database systems, with knowledge of SQL and NoSQL stores (e.g. MySQL, Oracle, MongoDB, Couchbase, etc.)
• Ability to write effective unit, integration, and API tests.
• Nice to have knowledge of immutable infrastructure, infrastructure automation and provisioning tools.
• Experience as a Developer on a cross-functional agile team preferred.
About Safety Assessment
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 120 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Disabled/Vet.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to crrecruitment_US@crl.com. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.