What you will be doing
The applications we develop aid analysts in solving complex analytical problems. This is a unique opportunity for a developer to design and develop mission applications and lead small project teams. The candidate would have the opportunity to develop applications with varying degrees of scale, risk and complexity. Lead developer duties may include serving as the technical lead for the design, testing and implementation of complex applications, complex web application layouts, content and user interfaces and/or database projects.
Duties may include but not limited to:
- The developer consults with clients to develop complex user requirements;
- Translates user requirements from a formal requirements document into an application and/or database design;
- Writes interfaces to companion applications or databases;
- Writes necessary code;
- Ensures interoperability with other applications;
- Provides extensive technical advice and guidance to Application Developers and other members of the team;
- Generates comprehensive test plans to ensure that adequate unit, system, and integration testing is performed;
- Oversees unit/functional testing and transitioning of the complex application and/or database to production; and
- Generates comprehensive test plans to ensure that adequate unit, system, and integration testing is performed.
- Directs contract personnel and continually works to optimize resources to better meet Sponsor priorities.
- Supports internal meetings (e.g. staff meetings, schedule reviews, status meetings), external stakeholder meetings, and working groups. Ensures that appropriate contract personnel attend project meetings where specific expertise is required.
- Communicates regularly with Sponsor Leadership to provide an integrated view into project status, schedule, and performance.
What you will need
- Minimum of 6 years demonstrated on-the-job experience with full life-cycle application software development
- Minimum of 4 years specialized experience with hands on involvement in all aspects of the application software development life-cycle (from requirements analysis through design, programming, testing, and deployment)
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience working with legacy application conversion (redeployment to alternative platforms and languages) and technology assessment
Demonstrated on-the-job experience with at least 2 of the following key technology areas:
Object-Oriented analysis, design and development using one of the following relational database technologies:
- Ruby on Rails
- Object-Oriented analysis, design and development using one of the following relational database technologies:
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience developing applications utilizing the model, view, control (MVC) architectural pattern
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience with version control systems like Subversion or Git
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience with the product life cycle to include the maintenance of production systems
- Demonstrated experience leading a development team
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience exhibiting customer service skills
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience working in a team environment exhibiting problem solving skills
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience with the Sponsor's Ruby on Rails platform
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience with the Sponsor or Sponsor-s partners and their current technology issues
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience exhibiting written skills to include technical documentation regarding Sun, Solaris and Linux
- Demonstrated experience deploying applications to a cloud infrastructure using Amazon Web Services (AWS)
TS/SCI with appropriate Polygraph
What it takes:
- A 'be the best of the best’ attitude
- Hunger to be at the leading edge of your field
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work effectively in individual and team environments
- Intellectual curiosity along with an analytical mind
- willingness to work towards the betterment of your countrymen
- desire to be the 1stline of defense to protect your nation
- passion to protect and serve
Who are we?
Praxis Engineering* was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Annapolis Junction MD - with growing offices in Chantilly VA and Aberdeen MD.
Praxis Engineering is a consulting, product, and solutions firm dedicated to the practical application of software and system engineering technologies to solve complex problems.
With over 350 employees supporting more than 50 contracts, Praxis brings together world class engineers with proven engineering best practices, domain expertise, commercial technologies and proven agile management approaches to create high value solutions aimed at helping our customers meet their most critical business and mission objectives.
- Praxis Engineering is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics IT.
We are focused on continual learning and evolution. We don’t do things because “that’s the way we’ve always done things”; we listen to our employees and adapt to the changing marketplace. We look at the big picture and encourage our engineers to get training and certifications in emerging technologies that will help shape our customer’s mission. We've been profitable year after year. We're always on the lookout for great engineers to join the team and we recognize that our employees are the heart and soul of what we do. We focus on recruiting talented people, treating them right, and then allowing them to do what they do best. No red tape. No micromanagement. Smart people want to work with smart people, and we love people who are passionate about what they do, and finding ways to do it better.
And then there is the...
- Competitive salary
- Office perks such as free soft drinks and snacks (both healthy and not-so-healthy)
- Praxis swag (annual gift certificate to purchase top brand Praxis apparel)
- Comprehensive health insurance plan
- 401(k) retirement plan with company paid contribution (amount equivalent to 7% of your salary)
- Annual bonus plan
- Four weeks Paid Time Off + 10 holidays + comp time eligibility
- Training is a priority! Take advantage of our endless in-house training opportunities - or seek out vendor offered (paid) training opportunities like conferences, certification courses and seminars.
- Conferences (recently attended by Praxis employees): AWS Summit, IoT World, Black Hat and DefCon.
- Training & Certifications: Splunk, AWS, Big Data/Cloudera, VMWare, Scrum Master...the list of certifications goes on and on!
- Praxis University: Cyber Research, Data Analytics, IoT, AWS and RedHat course offerings and hands-on training.
- We truly believe the right work-life balance can exist, and it's here at Praxis. Our work is extremely important, but your job is just a part of who you are. When you enjoy your life outside of our walls, you're at your best the next time you walk through our doors. We do all we can to assure that happens every day.
Praxis Engineering provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Work Location: Herndon, Virginia, USA, 20171
All candidates must have permanent residence status (on W2)
Candidate must have lived in the US for the past 5 years.
Cannot have more than 6 months travel outside the United States within the last five years. Military Service excluded
Under general direction, develops Web based applications, including online customer service, to enable agency components to deliver their services online.
Develops the site concept, interface design, and architecture of the web-site.
Provides support for the implementation of interfaces to Web-based applications.
Performs all functional duties independently.
Works on high-visibility programs, or mission critical aspects of assigned program(s).
Oversees the efforts of direct reporting resources and/or is responsible for the efforts of all staff assigned to a specific job.
8+ years advanced computer programming skills in Java/J2EE/, Web Services and APIs
2+ years advanced computer programming skills in JSF 2.x/Rich Faces / Prime Faces
3+ years of advanced computer programming skills in Spring/Hibernate
Advanced working skills in programming with SQL.
5+ years of experience in systems analysis and working closely with business customer
Experience with Subversion, code versioning and change management concepts
Experience with full life-cycle software applications development (i.e., design, construction, unit testing and implementation)
Experience with requirements definition and specifications design
Experience analyzing functional requirements in Sprints to write component detailed design technical documents.
Able to design and build systems that are integrated with other client systems
Demonstrates an expert level of proficiency in the use of computer languages and utilities necessary to support application development
Advanced working skills with IBM WebSphere and/or Oracle WebLogic technologies
Experience with Eclipse IDE.
Experience with WebSphere Liberty.
Experience with Maven, Sonar and Jenkins
Experience with ColdFusion programming knowledge using CFML, CFScript and/or CFCs.
Fusebox framework knowledge or experience.
Experience in projects where code is translated from one language to JAVA/JSF.
Able to perform the complete system life cycle using the Agile Scrum Methodology phases from project initiation, analysis and requirements, design, coding, testing and implementation
Able to adhere to client development standards
Ability to communicate to a wide variety of audiences, both business and technical
Proven ability to develop and maintain system documentation
Ability to work independently with minimal direction
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Pass both a client mandated clearance process to include drug screening, criminal history check and credit check.
If a candidate is given an interim clearance, continuation of employment is then based on the candidate receiving a sensitive clearance.
Job Type: Contract
- Spring: 5 years (Preferred)
- java: 8 years (Required)
- JSF: 2 years (Required)
- United States (Required)
- More than 1 year
Full Time Opportunity:
Job #: R-00012460
Location: Ashburn, VA
Category: Software Development
Schedule (FT/PT): Full time
Travel Required: No
Potential for Telework: No
Clearance Required: Public Trust
Referral Eligibility: Ineligible
Leidos is seeking a Senior Software Engineers to join agile feature development teams on the Automated Flight Service Station (AFSS) program. The AFSS system is a 24/7/365 system that provides a range of flight services to 80,000 members of the General Aviation community. Multiple position are available in Ashburn, VA and Gaithersburg, MD. Candidates must be able to obtain an SF-85P Public Trust clearance from the FAA customer. Due to contract requirements, the positions requires U.S. Citizenship.
This position requires strong technical skills in order to participate in a multi-skilled, complex, technical team of individuals as a Scrum Team Member. Excellent communication, team participation and prioritization skills, as well as the ability to be flexible and responsive in a fast paced environment are needed. This position also requires software engineering skills in Design, Development, Documentation, Integration, Debugging and Testing. As a Scrum Team Member, you will be working in the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Scrum processes, escalation and resolve impediments, and help drive program-level continuous improvement for this high profile Leidos program. You are expected to work effectively with other Team Members, coordinating with the Scrum Master, Product Owner, Systems Engineers, and other agile feature development teams.
- Work with multiple feature development teams to meet both sprint and release commitments and milestones.
- Contribute to the feature team's design, development, documentation and testing of enhancements to the system. Recommend and develop new technical solutions, products, and/or standards in support of the AFSS strategy. Lead and guide work of other technical staff that has significant impact on project results/outputs.
- Participate fully in the Scrum team activities (Planning, Daily Stand Up, Retrospective, & Review/Demo).
- Resolve critical issues on the operational system when necessary.
- Typically requires a Bachelors Degree in related field and 12-15 years of prior relevant professional experience or Masters in related field and 10-13 years of prior relevant professional experience.
- Previous experience engaging stakeholders, contributors and technical resources to analyze user needs and resource limitations.
- Should have Agile experience/knowledge of key agile techniques including Kanban, Lean, XP, and Scrum.
- Experience working at an organization using SAFe.
- Experience on Air Traffic or working with Air Traffic Systems.
- Experience using the Atlassian tools: JIRA, Crucible, Confluence, Bamboo; Ant; Gradle; Tomcat and VersionOne.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 32,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com .
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here .
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.
- Under general direction, develops Web based applications, including online customer service, to enable agency components to deliver their services online.
- Develops the site concept, interface design, and architecture of the web-site. Provides support for the implementation of interfaces to Web-based applications. Performs all functional duties independently. Works on high-visibility programs, or mission critical aspects of assigned program(s). Oversees the efforts of direct reporting resources and/or is responsible for the efforts of all staff assigned to a specific job.
- 8+ years advanced computer programming skills in Java/J2EE/, Web Services and APIs
- 2+ years advanced computer programming skills in JSF 2.x/RichFaces/PrimeFaces
- 3+ years of advanced computer programming skills in Spring/Hibernate
- Advanced working skills in programming with SQL.
- 5+ years of experience in systems analysis and working closely with business customer
- Experience with Subversion, code versioning and change management concepts
- Experience with full life-cycle software applications development (i.e., design, construction, unit testing and implementation)
- Experience with requirements definition and specifications design
- Experience analyzing functional requirements in Sprints to write component detailed design technical documents.
- Able to design and build systems that are integrated with other client systems
- Demonstrates an expert level of proficiency in the use of computer languages and utilities necessary to support application development
- Advanced working skills with IBM WebSphere and/or Oracle WebLogic technologies
- Experience with Eclipse IDE.
- Experience with WebSphere Liberty.
- Experience with Maven, Sonar and Jenkins
- Experience with ColdFusion programming knowledge using CFML, CFScript and/or CFCs. Fusebox framework knowledge or experience.
- Experience in projects where code is translated from one language to JAVA/JSF.
- Able to perform the complete system life cycle using the Agile Scrum Methodology phases from project initiation, analysis and requirements, design, coding, testing and implementation
- Able to adhere to client development standards
- Ability to communicate to a wide variety of audiences, both business and technical
- Proven ability to develop and maintain system documentation
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $50.00 to $55.00 /hour
- One location
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in designing, developing, building, and implementing software solutions in an Agile development organization using Jira and Confluence
Previous experience developing applications with at least one of the following languagues
- Experience with NoSQL Databases
- Spring Framework, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, Hibernate, Tomcat, PostgreSQL
- Linux or Unix experience
- Atlassian Tool Suite (JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo, Crucible) experience is a plus
- Experience with automated testing tools (e.g. JTest, Junit, etc.) is desired
- Must have a solid understanding of object oriented design concepts and the ability to work in a team environment
- Writing well-designed, efficient, and testable code in a mission based environment
- Develop, customize, maintain and monitor applications, utilizing the latest technologies
- Documenting solutions and communicating with other team members on the way forward
- Writing clean, tested, reusable code using best practice principles
- Proactively investigates, analyses and fixes reported defects