We are looking for an experienced WordPress theme developer to help us refine and improve our base custom theme that we use as a starting point for most of our website projects.
After using our own true from-scratch custom theme for many years, we decided to retool and embrace the latest development technologies (like Bootstrap4, Sass, Gulp etc.) and also dropping support for legacy browsers like Internet Explorer 8 and below.
We chose the Understrap framework as our parent base, and are looking for a developer with experience in this area (or at least the ability to learn) to help us extend often-used features to the theme.
This position is not specifically for any one project – but would be for a contractor who is available for project-based work on an ongoing basis with us.
The ideal candidate for this position:
- should specialize, and be very skilled, in custom WordPress PHP theme development
- should be able to provide working examples of sites using their custom themes, and should be prepared to walk us through the code to demonstrate knowledge of the WordPress hook system, and how they follow best-practices for clean DRY code
- should have at least 4 years experience working in PHP, with at least 2 years in WordPress theme work specifically
- should be familiar with SQL
- should be familiar with compiled CSS technologies like Less and Sass, and task running apps like Gulp and NPM
- MUST respond to emails promptly during US business hours (Eastern and Pacific timezones)
- must have good English communication skills - both written and spoken
The candidate's hourly rate would depend on their experience and other factors to be discussed and agreed upon before any work is started. The approximate range of $50-$75 USD/hr is a guideline based on prior hires – but not a hard limit, for the right candidate. The candidate would work with a project manager at Twig Interactive throughout each project to define a proposal for the client to approve before work is started.
After approval, a payment schedule would be agreed upon as various milestones of each project are reached. The candidate would be expected to keep track of time worked by task using our online tool (Harvest), and should expect to get paid monthly for work performed the month prior. This is paid under a 1099-MISC (contractor) tax status; tax will not be withheld, and the candidate is responsible for withholding their own tax, and reporting their own income to the IRS.
This position expects the candidate to work remotely with no travel required. Candidate would be expected to be available for scheduled phone calls & online meetings as needed throughout any projects awarded, but no set ‘work hours’ are required.
In order to avoid wasting each others' time, please do not apply for this position if your primary area of experience is anything other than WordPress theme development. Any mention of other languages known (Java, Python, Ruby, C++ etc.) or other CMS frameworks (Drupal, Joomla etc.) is not relevant to this position, and will be ignored.
About Twig Interactive:
Twig is a small web design and development company, based near Washington, D.C. We started Twig way back in 2002 when we realized so many of the large web agencies lacked the ability to provide the personal attention that small business clients really need. After 5 years of slow & consistent freelance growth, we made the leap to full-time, and in 2007 Twig Interactive LLC was born! More than a decade later, we are still providing high-quality service and personal attention to our clients. We never advertise ourselves - all our work is from referrals, so keeping our clients happy is our #1 priority.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $50.00 to $75.00 /hour
- Front-end: 2 years (Required)
- WordPress Development: 2 years (Required)
- PHP: 4 years (Required)
- Sass: 1 year (Preferred)
- English (Required)
- Flexible schedule