What you will be doing
The applications we develop aid analysts in solving complex analytical problems. This is a unique opportunity for a developer to design and develop mission applications and lead small project teams. The candidate would have the opportunity to develop applications with varying degrees of scale, risk and complexity. Lead developer duties may include serving as the technical lead for the design, testing and implementation of complex applications, complex web application layouts, content and user interfaces and/or database projects.
Duties may include but not limited to:
- The developer consults with clients to develop complex user requirements;
- Translates user requirements from a formal requirements document into an application and/or database design;
- Writes interfaces to companion applications or databases;
- Writes necessary code;
- Ensures interoperability with other applications;
- Provides extensive technical advice and guidance to Application Developers and other members of the team;
- Generates comprehensive test plans to ensure that adequate unit, system, and integration testing is performed;
- Oversees unit/functional testing and transitioning of the complex application and/or database to production; and
- Generates comprehensive test plans to ensure that adequate unit, system, and integration testing is performed.
- Directs contract personnel and continually works to optimize resources to better meet Sponsor priorities.
- Supports internal meetings (e.g. staff meetings, schedule reviews, status meetings), external stakeholder meetings, and working groups. Ensures that appropriate contract personnel attend project meetings where specific expertise is required.
- Communicates regularly with Sponsor Leadership to provide an integrated view into project status, schedule, and performance.
What you will need
- Minimum of 6 years demonstrated on-the-job experience with full life-cycle application software development
- Minimum of 4 years specialized experience with hands on involvement in all aspects of the application software development life-cycle (from requirements analysis through design, programming, testing, and deployment)
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience working with legacy application conversion (redeployment to alternative platforms and languages) and technology assessment
Demonstrated on-the-job experience with at least 2 of the following key technology areas:
Object-Oriented analysis, design and development using one of the following relational database technologies:
- Ruby on Rails
- Object-Oriented analysis, design and development using one of the following relational database technologies:
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience developing applications utilizing the model, view, control (MVC) architectural pattern
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience with version control systems like Subversion or Git
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience with the product life cycle to include the maintenance of production systems
- Demonstrated experience leading a development team
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience exhibiting customer service skills
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience working in a team environment exhibiting problem solving skills
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience with the Sponsor's Ruby on Rails platform
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience with the Sponsor or Sponsor-s partners and their current technology issues
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience exhibiting written skills to include technical documentation regarding Sun, Solaris and Linux
- Demonstrated experience deploying applications to a cloud infrastructure using Amazon Web Services (AWS)
TS/SCI with appropriate Polygraph
What it takes:
- A 'be the best of the best’ attitude
- Hunger to be at the leading edge of your field
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work effectively in individual and team environments
- Intellectual curiosity along with an analytical mind
- willingness to work towards the betterment of your countrymen
- desire to be the 1stline of defense to protect your nation
- passion to protect and serve
Who are we?
Praxis Engineering* was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Annapolis Junction MD - with growing offices in Chantilly VA and Aberdeen MD.
Praxis Engineering is a consulting, product, and solutions firm dedicated to the practical application of software and system engineering technologies to solve complex problems.
With over 350 employees supporting more than 50 contracts, Praxis brings together world class engineers with proven engineering best practices, domain expertise, commercial technologies and proven agile management approaches to create high value solutions aimed at helping our customers meet their most critical business and mission objectives.
- Praxis Engineering is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics IT.
We are focused on continual learning and evolution. We don’t do things because “that’s the way we’ve always done things”; we listen to our employees and adapt to the changing marketplace. We look at the big picture and encourage our engineers to get training and certifications in emerging technologies that will help shape our customer’s mission. We've been profitable year after year. We're always on the lookout for great engineers to join the team and we recognize that our employees are the heart and soul of what we do. We focus on recruiting talented people, treating them right, and then allowing them to do what they do best. No red tape. No micromanagement. Smart people want to work with smart people, and we love people who are passionate about what they do, and finding ways to do it better.
And then there is the...
- Competitive salary
- Office perks such as free soft drinks and snacks (both healthy and not-so-healthy)
- Praxis swag (annual gift certificate to purchase top brand Praxis apparel)
- Comprehensive health insurance plan
- 401(k) retirement plan with company paid contribution (amount equivalent to 7% of your salary)
- Annual bonus plan
- Four weeks Paid Time Off + 10 holidays + comp time eligibility
- Training is a priority! Take advantage of our endless in-house training opportunities - or seek out vendor offered (paid) training opportunities like conferences, certification courses and seminars.
- Conferences (recently attended by Praxis employees): AWS Summit, IoT World, Black Hat and DefCon.
- Training & Certifications: Splunk, AWS, Big Data/Cloudera, VMWare, Scrum Master...the list of certifications goes on and on!
- Praxis University: Cyber Research, Data Analytics, IoT, AWS and RedHat course offerings and hands-on training.
- We truly believe the right work-life balance can exist, and it's here at Praxis. Our work is extremely important, but your job is just a part of who you are. When you enjoy your life outside of our walls, you're at your best the next time you walk through our doors. We do all we can to assure that happens every day.
Praxis Engineering provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other protected class.