CBS BUSINESS UNIT: Simon & Schuster
JOB TYPE: Temporary / Per Diem / Freelance
JOB SCHEDULE: Full-Time
JOB LOCATION: New York, NY
Simon & Schuster, a part of CBS Corporation, is a global leader in the field of general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for consumers of all ages, across all printed, electronic, and audio formats. Its divisions include Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Simon & Schuster Audio, Simon & Schuster Digital, and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom.
Simon & Schuster has an exciting role for a data engineer to join a fast-paced, leading-edge team working to help advance it’s publishing business. In this Freelance or Independent Contractor role, you will be working with a small team of data scientists and analysts to rapidly prototype data applications and analytics tools to serve our fast-growing imprint.
The full-time, contract position will be responsible for developing, testing and maintaining data flows and information architecture. This includes aggregating data from multiple databases in our data warehouse as well as external sources, establishing data pipelines, designing data models, deploying machine learning models to production and building robust data visualizations and reporting tools that align with the business needs of our team.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to build a robust data science and analytics environment from the ground up. You’ll be working with a small team of professionals based remotely. Hours are flexible. Two scheduled check-ins/code reviews are required weekly.
- Collaborate with team to align architecture with business requirements
- Stand up, test and maintain databases and information architecture
- Build tools to automate data acquisition and aggregation
- Develop data models and table schemas
- Identify ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
- Deploy sophisticated analytics programs, machine learning and statistical methods
- Prepare data for predictive and prescriptive modeling
- Use data to discover tasks that can be automated
- Develop data visualizations, dashboards, reports and notification tools that respond to business needs
- Design analytical models that support analysis and inference.
Skills and experience:
- Computer science degree or equivalent with 2+ years data engineering and/or full stack developer experience
- Background in data science or equivalent continuing education
- Strong knowledge of Python 3
- Experience in developing and maintaining SQL databases and writing SQL queries; NoSQL (MongoDB) experience preferred but not required
- Experience establishing and maintaining AWS, Google Cloud, Heroku, Tableau or similar cloud-based environments
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS and JS and lightweight web frameworks such as Django, Flask
- Familiarity with database administration tools and best practices
- Background in extracting and storing data from APIs preferred but not required
- Background in deploying machine learning models to production preferred but not required
- Knowledge of Git/GitHub and software development workflows
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to summarize key findings into clear and actionable recommendations, and to interact with individuals at all levels.
Strong project management skills and ability to plan and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment.Please send a link to your work samples on Github
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled